One of the most effective ways to get your posts into spot light is optimizing them for search engines.
Although SEO, takes time before showering traffic; nevertheless, once your post gets ranked high, you can expect a steady flow of traffic to your blog.
For your post to rank high, you first need to optimize it for search engines. Optimizing them would make them easy to crawl for search engines like Google, bing and rank them.
Making a post SEO friendly isn’t rocket science! It takes a fair time, however it pays off in terms of traffic later.
In this post, I’ll break down 8 Steps with which you can write a perfect SEO friendly post.
1. Add Headings – Headings tags such as <h1> and <h2> hold critical importance in ranking your page.
H1 tag should be your post title and must contain the keyword you wish to rank for. Ideally, you must use the H1 tag once.
Followed by the H1 tag, break down your posts further into H2 tags. These are sub-headings that help reader better understand your post.
I recommend adding your keyword once in the H2 sub-heading. One thing you must note before moving on is that don’t stuff keywords into headings or sub-headings just for ranking purposes.
2. Add Meta title and Meta description – How does Google come to know what you’ve been up to on your blog?
By adding Meta title and Meta description you provide search engines a basic idea of what your post is all about.
These are added my html <meta> tags. You can use this free meta tag generator to generator meta title and description in html and then embed them in your website.
If you are a WordPress user, things get a lot easier. You only need to install Yoast SEO plugin and you can add meta title and description within your post editor!
3. Write long posts – I am not sure about this, however I strongly believe you should write long and detailed posts on your blog.
If you are not comfortable writing long posts, make sure your posts weigh around 500-600 words.
Search engines don’t love to promote thin content. Explain your topic in detail. Make sure you completely grasp and present your topic in the post.
By providing quality content, you don’t only please search engines, you also get love from your readers. You can use the word counter tool to count the number of words in your blog post.
4. Interlinking is important – Consider linking your old posts in new posts. It has amazing benefits associated with it, such as :-
- It helps search engines to better crawl your website
- If interlinking is done properly, it helps search engines to create a accurate sitemap of your website
- It helps readers explore your blog more deeply
- It reduces bounce rate of your blog
But pay attention while interlinking. Don’t get carried away in linking your old posts and link in limit. Excessive interlink can increase your anchor text and harm your SEO.
5. Use Media in your posts – You should use at least one image in your post. I don’t need to mention that it should be related to your post.
Make sure you add the “alt-attribute” in your image. Alt attribute is the text that is displayed in browsers where image is displayed. It also tells search engines about what the image is.
But you should be cautious while using in your posts. Don’t just use any image found in Google images. Images carry copyright laws with them. Using a copyrighted image can harm your rankings.
Luckily ; there are websites that offer free images without copyright that you can use in your blog posts. One such image gallery I often pay visit to is pixabay.
6. Keyword Research – Targeting the perfect keyword is a must to-do stroke. Keyword research can be done using online tools. There are number of online tools for keyword research, but the most effective is Google’s keyword planner.
Suppose you’ve prepared a list about House cleaning tips. You titled the post “House cleaning tips to keep house clean”. However, people were searching for “Top 10 House cleaning tips”. If this sort of situation occurs, you won’t be receiving as much traffic as you should.
This is where keyword researching dives in. It tells about what users are searching for. Once you’ve found the perfect keyword to target, you can use co-schedule’s headline analyzer to make a perfect headline.
7. Get hungry for comments – Search engines tend to love blogs that have lot of comments. Blogs with comments tell search engines about quality content and reader engagement.
These blogs are hence are believed to have ideal content and are ranked high.
Comments also increase your blog post’s word count, making it even rich. There are couple of tips one can follow to increase comments on his/her posts :-
- End your post with a question regarding the post
- Make commenting flawless on your blog
- Try to reply personally to every comment made on your blog.
8. Link other Websites – Link to high authority websites such wikipedia. Search for websites that have posted information which could be useful in your post.
If you are using some text, or image from any web-page ; mention a proper link to that web page in the “credits” or attribution section.
Linking to other websites and pages shows that you are providing a stack of information to your readers. This helps in improving your search rankings somehow.
Conclusion – To make it obvious, you won’t be ranking on the first spot after following these tips !
These tips make your page SEO friendly. Rest all depends on your Content. In my previous post I discussed How to quality of your posts.
Once you are able to maintain the balance between awesome content and SEO, you’d be soon ranking high enough on search engines.
The most important point to note is to produce content that provides value to your readers. Write human friendly content, not only it would get more shares on social media, but it would also rank high on search engines.